Friday

January 2, 2009 Asking Prayer

Asking Prayer

I want to pray a prayer that isn't self centered, demanding, or one that forgets Who God is and who I am.

Often my prayer gave no honor or respect to my Creator, my Savior or my Holy Spirit. And to be honest I hear it ringing in my ears these commands (because they were not asking) to God. My prayers exposed my selfish, fearful and anxious heart 'God please fix it quick', 'God please open the doors to a beautiful never obstructed path', 'God, fill my house, my car, my closet' and maybe more honorable prayer, 'God please take care of my family and friends, fill their house, car and closet'... and this was not in our spirit.

I've thought about how I reminded God of what His Word says in order to get what I needed, even in more serious situations like health and direction. I prayed telling him what to do, quoting His Word back to Him then reminding Him 'Your Word says this, and You cannot lie, therefore....'.

Several dear to me have been sharing about prayer. Prayer that is heart opening. This is prayer where I remember in His presence that I can do nothing without Him and for those I pray that they can do nothing without Him. Falling on my face in His presence prayer (but this only happens when ego, self and filled up days are gone), because I am experiencing Who He Is in comparison to who I am. Who am I that I should remind, tell, manipulate, bargain with and even more alarming, plan my own life (or anyone else's)?! All of this I beg to be washed away because they are only obstructions to His constant, glorious plan and purpose for my life.

Mark 11:24 24 "Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask (not tell or command), believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you.

What happens when I work on myself to fully trust Him? I can be open and honest about my fears (which He floods away with His Love). I am also able to be His slave and allow Him to be my Master. There is no more reminding or telling or screaming at Him what He already knows. There is only prayer (beautiful conversation), asking (with a trembling heart), believing (knowing He is my Abba, Daddy, Pappa and He will not give me a snake or a stone) and 'joyful waiting' to receive on His terms (which is never misguided). And to think the one prayer I use to be most afraid of, 'Lord, I surrender to Your will', as if He would ask me something I wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't do.

Father, Abba, Daddy,Please forgive me for my heartless ways, forgive me for dishonoring You, I was so blind. May my prayers be sweet smelling incense to You not my putrid regurgitation.I ask You, would You please take care of my family, my brothers and sisters (and me)? Please would you keep us safe and show us Your way.
Lord, I surrender to Your will.
I love You,
The one You called Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment