Saturday

December 20, 2008 WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG, 'What You See Is What You Get'. The technology over the years in computers has been mind-boggling. Being in the graphics industry alone watching how the hardware became more compact, the software more complex is more than this creative mind can fathom. Going from monitors of single line coded type, to black and white monitors using the same code for pages of typesetting, to color WYSIWYG. I guess you can imagine for an artist and the printing industry to be able to see in full color exactly what would be printed without cutting and pasting was a technical marvel not to mention the editing and spell check capabilities (some things still need people skills :-). Anyway, this is my condensed explanation of the major changes during my work in the industry as an artist/designer. My question, 'what's next?'

'What's next?' is about my personal life in that world....I could lie to you and talk about how perfect it was to have an in-home business, the perfect set up as a wife and mother, after all that is what the world wanted women to think. Now looking back to have been fully connected with the hearts of my family would have been more precious than anything my work produced.

So Connie, to answer your question from 20 years ago when you called together the group of what you said were successful business women to share our lives, I will answer now because I couldn't have been 'Getting Real' back then. 'My business life got in the way of my family. It was only to acquire more stuff and nothing outside of my family could have ever been more important than they were, and if I had been able to see it then, I would have stopped all the diverted attention away so I could have been fully present, that is in, real loving, open heart, vulnerable sharing time with my family.

The purpose for my work, was to 'acquire', I can say, it really wasn't worth it and how crazy it was. So 'what you see is what you get?' No, because airbrushing, touch-ups and manipulation of life scenes can be deceiving to the observer. Now it's what I don't see, that is, the useless, unnecessary stuff, that has allowed me to find the path to my life's door, to that clear opening to what I do see, a beautiful life with my family. My question, 'what's next?'.... pure joy and bliss!! Thank You, God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment