Thursday

December 18, 2008 A Bunch of Grapes

A Bunch of Grapes

I looked this morning for this and couldn't find it thinking it was at the end of the book but rather it was in the middle. Now returning I want to share with you this beautiful story. I may have sent this out before. Ken and I were talking this morning about this story. It sparked a wonderful memory for me so I wanted to share it with you.

"There's an old story from the desert fathers and mothers, people of deep faith who found it necessary to go into the desert to find God. They lived in little clusters of communities (much the way many of our communities now live, only our desert is the inner cities and abandoned places of the empire). Someone had brought one of the communities a bundle of grapes as a gift. That was quite a delicacy, maybe sort of like giving someone chocolate truffles today. They got so excited and what happened next is fascinating. Rather than devour them all, they didn't eat a single one. They passed them on to the next community to enjoy. And that community did the same thing. And eventually, those grapes made it through every community and back to the first community without being eaten. Everyone simply wanted the others to experience the joy of the gift. I'm not sure what ever ended up happening with those grapes. I think maybe they had a big party, or maybe they made some wine. But no doubt God was happy. One of the quotes on my wall reminds me of this daily. "The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away." Irresistible Revolution, Shane Clairborne. pg.167

WOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment