Sunday

June 8, 2008 In His Image

In His Image

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Male and female, we are created in His own image. Generation after generation, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters every single one of us. Not one human since the beginning of time has not been created in His image.

Genesis 1:28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.

Yesterday I ended my writing by saying, 'The Lord has it all under control.' and it should have ended 'all but us'. He does not control us. His perfect plan was to let us be free and live in freedom and be fruitful and increase in numbers. But something happened. Our freedom proved that we would make wrong choices and we choose to not be in His will or in His presence. We fall short every time.

I am not going where you think I am in looking at this once perfection of man and woman who fell short of His glory and became imperfect. I want to stay on the subject of being created 'in His own image'. That is again everyone of us. Do you believe this? Do you see this? Think about your answer for a moment.

Everyone has encountered many people, diverse in culture and race. How is your heart in judgment of those who have little or abundance, or country or color? Wars rise up as a result of the division and lack of compassion when the focus is off the man, woman and child created in His image. Then there is apathy and turning the head, and this occurs as well in all of the above. But the most obvious is in our own neighborhoods, maybe with a neighbor. Remember the Lord said, "Love you neighbor as yourself". Do you love yourself? And in most neighborhoods, there are the homeless. Here I am on my computer, and there you are reading this, and as I am and I can bet you are reading this in the comfort of your office, home or coffee shop. But not the homeless, and it doesn't matter the reason they are homeless, whether the chose to (and many years ago, as I rode the bus, there was a man that did, once a millionaire he chose to become homeless so his wife couldn't have anything, yep it's true, the person who told me this story pointed him out, he was a friend and would check on him from time to time) or they lost their jobs, or the system kicked them out of mental hospitals because they have no money. Who knows all the reasons why?

All over this sprawling city there are few facilities that offer shelter and hot meals to these men, women and families. Thank God for them and the ministries that help them. I see this everyday in my own neighborhoods. Sometimes I think how does he do it? Why does the property owners of this area let him stay? No one bothers him. He walks up and down Gessner and Kempwood with his life in a grocery cart, long beard, hat, long coat/s. You've seen him. Sometimes I'll ask myself 'where does he sleep?", then I'll see a pile of materials behind Chevron or Walgreens. He doesn't seem to bother anyone. It seems he has found his place. People obviously help him with food and drink. Even one day as I was pumping gas he walked by and I bought a bottle of cold water (thinking about, if you give a drink of water you do it for Me) I reached out to give it to him and he said 'no thank you, I have enough'. Think about that for a moment, it makes me want to cry 'enough'. Under all the hair you can see his face and eyes. He is made in His image.

So what was your answer?

Video & Song
'Every Man' Casting Crowns
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A7-mbBlwiqY&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment