Wednesday

February 11, 2009 Love Evil Away

Love Evil Away

more of Romans 12...what an amazing guide for life!

12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. 14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


Maybe at some point I ignored these guides and paid attention when it was convenient, when it was appropriate, when I thought it was the right time. I really always thought of myself as a loving, giving person, one who loved God with my whole heart. Loving God with my whole heart - that is part, because it does not include my mind, my strength and my soul. Loving those who love me and disregard those who don't - that is part. When I bless some and curse others, (this doesn't need to be overt) - that is part. When I was feeling humble sometimes and proud sometimes - that is part. Doing what is right in the eyes of everybody seems to be impossible, but when LOVE is involved it no longer is impossible.

At the beginning of the war in Iraq when the atrocities of genocide were being published about Saddam Hussein and his sons, fear and hate rose in the media, on the streets, in Christian media and communities, my son turned to me and said, shouldn't we pray for Saddam Hussein, he is a human being? WOW, talk about heaping coals on one's head. We as a nation were so caught up in the evil of this man that we failed to see he was human, that he also was created in the image of God. My son had it right. This is an example of unconditional LOVE, when no matter how evil a person becomes, we still LOVE them as a human being. It makes me wonder what would have happened if we as a nation had joined together to pray for Saddam and his family. One sure way to do away with evil is give unconditional LOVE (LOVE which requires nothing) to those who are hungry, thirsty, that is, the same LOVE Jesus gave us. So the saying, 'LOVE the devil out of them' is truth. And don't be surprised when you see Saddam in heaven because there was one young man who LOVED him unconditionally and prayed for his soul.

"What must we do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus answered, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment