Thursday

September 4, 2008 Cry & Laugh, Laugh & Cry

Cry & Laugh, Laugh & Cry


Along with the great need to cry out to God with a broken heart, which I am experiencing the beauty and healing in this, I encourage you to do the same, 'to allow it to get as big as it needs to get', it really is okay, GOD UNDERSTANDS and is waiting on the other side of your tears.

What a way to be liberated, that is through tears. So many of us had been conditioned, especially men (as I hear you), to not cry. But many of us women were as well. Men and women both through the need of feeling responsible for others, abuse to stifle the expression of crying are a couple of reasons which I understand. Crying is God given and so absolutely necessary. Our lives depend on it.

I am seeing more these days as I reach out and 'give my life away' women who cannot cry. What happened? How did it come to this? It is from the above reasons and I'm sure many other reasons. Really, I think it has always been just as hard for women to cry (maybe) as men, just a thought at this point. Maybe we have thought the crying flowed freely in women because of movie sensationalism as a way to make fun of her or for her love sick heart.

Maybe the stifling of crying came out of projected shame? Maybe it came from living in a big city where there is no place to go without others thinking we're crazy? Maybe we just need them to think we are to allow it to happen? It doesn't seem David had a problem. I don't think he went out into the wilderness to cry although some did as John the Baptist and I'm sure it was crying along with a loud voice.

Psalm 55:17 Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.

Psalm 130:1 Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord

Recently or should I say since January as I laid my life down for the Lord to remold me and take me through His refining fire, I've had the unbelievable liberating experience of allowing myself to scream as loud as I could (that is in my car, the closest thing to an insulated environment) flowing immediately into an uncontrollable laugh because it seemed so funny afterwards and then (sorry for the run on sentences) more recently being able to laugh literally until I cried. This occurred as a result of laughing to cover up the crying and once recognized (allowed to) the uncontrollable laugh flowed into a deep sobbing.

So I'll say today, please cry, please laugh, please sob, not just for others but for yourself and together we will find out what it is like to 'let it get as big as it needs to get'. We will see the healing process in action, when everything it took to hold it all in to create havoc on us, will be everything it takes to let it all out. A true catharsis to healing experience.

Maybe someone could create a safe place, like a sound proof room for those who are ready to experience this catharsis? Do you think I'm joking?

And for some reason, probably my age as I approach 54 this month, yikes, many old tunes are coming to my mind. Here's one of them and believe it or not this use to be one of my favorite oldies to listen to on the way to high school, yikes again!

...another new experience for me, if I really look I can see God everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment