Tuesday

September 2, 2008 Sublimity in Suffering

Sublimity in Suffering

When my father failed me, or my husband failed me, or my wife failed me, or my sister failed me, or my brother failed me, or I failed me, or anyone failed me, it is not You.

“God, how can we reconcile this need of pain with our effort to abolish all
misery?”
The answer seemed convincing to me:
“If you abolish. the physical suffering of the world, there will still be disappointed love, yearnings which cannot be satisfied, which will leave hearts bleeding even as they do today. Mansions have as many burning hearts as do poor houses. The things which drag men down to grossness and incessant selfishness must be wiped out. Then hearts will become sore over infinitely larger things than selfish needs. They will learn to bleed for a world with the heart of Jesus.” There will be more suffering than today, for only love knows how to suffer divinely. But the meanness of suffering for one's own selfish disappointments will be gone, and we will see a magnificence and sublimity in suffering that will make us glad. ___ Letters by a Modern Mystic, by Frank Laubach

What is meant for evil is always meant for good. In suffering we do find a magnificence and sublimity with You that is not possible in constant happiness out of selfish want, of which always brings about the worst in us.

Genesis 50: 19 But Joseph said to them, “Do not be afraid, for am I in God’s place? 20 “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive. 21 “So therefore, do not be afraid; I will provide for you and your little ones.” So he comforted them and spoke kindly to them.

As Joseph forgave, we find forgiveness and a way to forgive, we literally are given a lifetime to choose. We are each other's cross, we are to take up our cross and follow Him. And we thought it is only about us.

Psalm 27:7 Hear my voice when I call, O Lord; be merciful to me and answer me. 8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, Lord, I will seek. 9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior. 10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. 11 Teach me your way, O Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. 12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. 13 I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

The above is from an evangelist in Philippines to his father in the 1930's. It is timeless, compiled into a short book is his walk with searching for a deeper relationship with God. It couldn't have come at a more perfect time for me. Here is the file online if you wish to read it.
http://www.cfointernational.org/pdf/Letters%20By%20A%20Modern%20Mystic.pdf

Also if you have time read here is a quick biography review in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Laubach

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/248/456632394_92e3fe9437_m.jpg


Video & Song
'Wonderful Cross' Michael W. Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9oIJUK8QLA&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment