Tuesday

July 1, 2008 Freedom or Fear

Freedom or Fear

What an unexpected response yesterday morning as I passed by a group of 'American?' men picketing and the 'day laborers' men, had moved less than 1/2 block down the street. As I was driving by at 40 miles per hour the 'wordy' signs weren't all legible except those in bold or red protesting illegal immigrants 'taking our jobs'. Screaming signs, 'secure our borders!'. Maybe about 8 to 10 men both picketers and the same number of day laborers. And who really knows if they are illegal immigrants or not.

I just watched a movie 'The Golden Door' in hopes to catch a glimpse of my Sicilian grandparents journey into this country. And there is no difference to the vision of immigrants today coming in from Mexico. They, like them, come into the United States for a better life. As previous immigrants some come for the illusion of prosperity and wealth, and some from government oppression and poverty. And we are them, descendants of 'them'. They are those who sought a better education and a better life, in most cases from absolutely nothing, into small communities and small businesses. Not only for their generation but for generations after that. Community and closeness of family within these small communities mimics the norm in the old country.

So back to my response . I didn't even make it to the next light and I began bawl. I called my husband and tried to communicate my feelings on what I just saw and couldn't even talk. At the same time I'm thinking this is not good to do this while I'm driving. The only thing I was able to get out of my mouth was the scripture, 'perfect love casts out all fear'. Honestly, I was surprised at my reaction. It was a deep hurting for all of them. My husband consoled me and told me to dive into the peace within me and allow the Lord to cover me with His wings.

It was in response to their fear, I was empathetic to their hurt and pain in both the day laborers and the picketers. The quick passing peripheral view of what was occurring might have been described as a 'peaceful demonstration' in the media but it was anything but peaceful. The projection was of hate and fear. And as I think of all of us, anyone living within this great country, we are all here for the same reason the day laborers or illegal immigrants are here...vision... freedom and a little heaven on earth.

Where is love? Where is our love for one another? If perfect love casts out all fear, then in love we have nothing to fear. No fear of illegals coming into our country, no fear that they are taking our jobs, no fear of race or creed.

The very words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty tell the story of our ancestors. And who am I to say the newest immigrants are not worthy. I would say this speaks of love...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

We are God's people, we are all God's children. We need to find our place of unconditional love and put on the mind of Christ and love as He loved.

Isaiah 58:6 "This is the kind of fast day I'm after: to break the chains of injustice, get rid of exploitation in the workplace, free the oppressed, cancel debts. 7 What I'm interested in seeing you do is: sharing your food with the hungry, inviting the homeless poor into your homes, putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad, being available to your own families. 8 Do this and the lights will turn on, and your lives will turn around at once. Your righteousness will pave your way. The God of glory will secure your passage. 9 Then when you pray, God will answer. You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.' A Full Life in the Emptiest of Places, If you get rid of unfair practices, quit blaming victims, quit gossiping about other people's sins, 10 If you are generous with the hungry and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out, Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness, your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight.

Real change, real love shines bright

And just in time for our Independence Day Celebration!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/73/197663118_e26fe4c6dc.jpg?v=0

Video & Song
'Perfect Love' Hillsong
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_zslw6WulFo

No comments:

Post a Comment