Wednesday

July 30, 2008 Many Words

Many Words

I've been reading more books and blogs these days for information, insight and enjoyment. Books, and blogs and in them there are concerns, defenses, inspirations, direction, support; many commentaries, judgments and biases. Within the genre of 'Spiritual or Christian' reading there are claims to harmony, ultimate truth, spiritual correction, spiritual direction, some just for enjoyment, some analysis, some paraphrasing (which I mostly do). And it is even more interesting when a writer criticizes writing for spiritual or scriptural incorrectness, they are often not without fault, doing the very thing (through the view of the reader) to which they are critiquing.

I make no claims to really know anything about anything. Because as soon as I think I have the answers I find that I have mud on my face or my foot in my mouth. While other reading is purely for information and enjoyment, there is only one book that speaks for Itself, because It is His voice. It never makes a mistake, it never needs judgment, correction, analysis, critiquing, although it has been. It IS Spiritual direction, Spiritual insight and from my perspective it is the most enjoyable, the most informative, and the most insightful, in 30+ years of diligently seeking and reading It, It never has a dull moment, never a contradiction, never shallow. And though it has many words, the words when they aren't torn up by 'other's' view points, speaks for Itself with richness, depth, pure life and pure love, when it is the Holy Spirit directing. They are the living Words of God.

Even though I write every morning on what I feel in my heart, I am not without fault in my human nature of interjecting my 'flesh' thoughts. It is important for me to say that everything that we read making claims to insight in God's word must be taken carefully and we each must 'study to show ourselves approved', Because the bottom line, the only Teacher and Writer without fault is the Author of our faith. I say 'yes', with this gift of length, depth and height.

Ecclesiastes 12:8 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Everything is meaningless!" 9 Not only was the Teacher wise, but also he imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs. 10 The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true. 11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails--given by one Shepherd. 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

And if you wish, here is a long commentary giving a two sided critique of the book 'The Shack' by William P. Young which has obviously brought much controversy. I've read the book and my opinion, it was delightful and I don't believe it would either sway the faith of a 'mature' or 'baby' Christian. I throughouly enjoyed the dialogue between the Trinity giving me a joyful perspective on the Triune God and how much They love each other. It is fiction, and as all others you will have a critique, if you are able to get through the despair of the tragedy and then the idea of God shows up in human form which Mackenzie needed to experience in order to begin his healing. And I do compare it to C. S. Lewis', 'The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe'. Neither one is meant to be read for scriptural accuracy, but for a good read and enjoyment, with obvious intentions by the authors to encourage deeper searching into God's Word. From that perspective, for me, it was a prodding 'goad', obviously successful, as you will see in the blog discussions.

http://www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/11578109/page1/

So for my 'many' words, I say 'that's quite enough Teresa'. Have a God-(filled) Day!!

http://static.flickr.com/4/9094372_9f8ca29b41.jpg

Video & Song
'Because of Your Love' Paul Baloche
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YyMFL-CGzwg
See Rebecca, what happens with great worship, it stays with us all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment