Thursday

October 9, 2008 Love and Pride

Love and Pride

When I say I'm proud, where is the dividing line between love and pride? Of course that question can only be answered within myself and unless I am careful to observe and listen to my own heart I will not see or care to see in the later of the two.

I'm proud of my children, carefully making sure when I say this that it's because of who they 'are' and not what they've become or what I 'think' I've interjected into lives and what they have become because of that. To walk along side them through their lives and guide them and encourage them to be just who they 'are', listening very carefully to their desires and their vision and offering to them loving guidance, not demands, as they walk through this treacherous life. And I will be the first to say, I have royally screwed this up at various times of my sons lives.

On the other hand if it is about my life and 'look at me' heaped on because of the deficits in my life, from fear and the need to be seen, it is self pride and becomes haughtiness, you know the 'big head' and that is projected on my children to become what 'I' want them to be, or what I need them to be for 'me'.

What an honor it has been for me to watch dads and moms in action as they share their hearts for their children, who aren't afraid to verbalize openly their fears. (Maybe my opening on pride isn't out of context after all). When a father and mother are transparent with each other and with their children, sharing their inner fears and pain, vulnerable with their hearts laid wide open in front of their children, there is no room for pride to raise its 'big head'. And when being transparent, translates into 'Truth and Love' that breaks open every fear and there is unbelievable healing. And if you, the reader, have never experienced this in your childhood, you can imagine what it would feel like, absolutely safe, liberating and freeing.

If we could step on pride and fear and be transparent and vulnerable, openly sharing our fears, pain and shame with our own spouses and children, what an amazing world this would be, because 'Truth and Love' starts within our own homes.


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2347/2188043245_f16cf1a70a_m.jpg


Video & Song
'I Will Carry You' Michael W Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZj0520v0g&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment