Tuesday

October 14, 2008 Help Up The Mountain

Help Up The Mountain

There have been, there are and there always will be problems in my life that were either denied, ignored, dealt with or somehow grace helped me find my way to the other side. When problems 'seem' unsolvable, it becomes hard to see, because I become blinded by the problem. Some mountains are steep to climb, and even too wide to go around or at least parts of a mountain, but there is always a trail to the top maybe even a way through the center.

In one of the hottest summers here in Houston in 1979, I went with some friends to hike outside of Pike's Peak up to 13,500 feet. The climb up was a very difficult challenge for me and I was able to see my real weak areas, like carrying a 30lb. backpack on a once 120lb body, up a 45 degree ascent wasn't easily unloaded on others who were carrying the same weight. If it wasn't for the beauty of the climb and the sometimes stern in my face 'don't stop!!' from my friends, all the pain would have caused me to quit to the point of needing to be rescued. Somehow I found what I needed to do in order to finish, pushing through the exhaustion to the point of collapsing, the cold (yes, knee deep in snow in July), freezing rain to the point of hypothermia, nausea from the thin air, etc. What an experience when the group finally arrived at the summit to see down in the gully the way down through the snowy slopes and the trail that led back to civilization. While on the mountain top all the fears and problems of the ascent were gone, we all laid all over the summit taking in the beauty and looking up at the sky, yes it does feel like you can touch the sky that high up. The stars were so clear it made the night sky almost white. Those who had blisters and were hurting even in that moment forgot their pain. And that high up we had to breathe a breath with each step or the lack of oxygen would make you pass out. Then there were problems even in the descent but not as great at the ascent. Isn't it interesting when we speak of mountains in our lives we forget that we have to come down and the descent is difficult as well.

As problems overwhelm us even at sea level, it's like climbing a mountain, we need to breathe with every step, put one foot in front of the other and take in the beauty of life wherever it is visible for encouragement and inspiration. When we arrive at the summit of the problem we don't forget where we came from, but pause in the experience and remember the difficulty of the problem. My life's backpack, I must carry my own, I chose to climb this mountain, if I try to unload or discard the weight too soon I will be in danger and lacking in essentials in order to survive. It isn't for me to pass on my backpack to someone else to burden them when I am capable to carry my own, because they have their own to carry. When carefully planned and balanced our life's backpack will have ample supply for the ascent and descent of each problem.

What a lesson climbing a mountain will teach. What is in your backpack that you can pull out in order to find strength to get through this immediate problem? Take out what you need when you need it to help you get to the summit.

There is a gracious Lord Who pours His strength into me to help me climb the mountains of my life and just in time when I need it the most.


'When I Get Where I'm Going' Brad Paisley & Dolly Parton

No comments:

Post a Comment